Saturday, August 11, 2007

Antonin Dvorak (1841-1904)

Sierra Club

Lyrics

"Song to the Moon"

Silver moon upon the deep dark sky, / Through the vast night pierce your rays. / This sleeping world you wander by, / Smiling on men's homes and ways. / Oh moon ere past you glide, tell me, / Tell me, oh where does my loved one bide? / Oh moon ere past you glide, tell me / Tell me, oh where does my loved one bide? / Tell him, oh tell him, my silver moon, / Mine are the arms that shall hold him, / That between waking and sleeping he may / Think of the love that enfolds him, / May between waking and sleeping / Think of the love that enfolds him. / Light his path far away, light his path, / Tell him, oh tell him who does for him stay! / Human soul, should it dream of me, Let my memory wakened be. / Moon, moon, oh do not wane, do not wane, / Moon, oh moon, do not wane....

Books

Please browse our Amazon list of titles about Antonin Dvorak. For rare and hard to find works we recommend our Alibris list of titles about Antonin Dvorak.

AlibrisResearch

Sheet music: Antonin Dvorak
Recordings: Antonin Dvorak
COPAC UK: Antonin Dvorak
Library of Canada: Antonin Dvorak
Library of Congress: Antonin Dvorak
Other Library Catalogs: Antonin Dvorak

Biographical

Dvorak was born in a Bohemian village. He worked as a violist under Smetana and with the encouragement of Brahms, devoted his life to composition. Between 1892 and 1895 he spent time in the USA as director of the new National Conservatory. He returned home to live a simple life in his own country. He died in 1904, shortly after the first performances of his last opera, Armida. [Adapted from HNH International]

No comments: